Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Let's chat for a moment

So, I just wanted to take a few minutes to just talk through my realizations and my encounters as I'm making it through my third week in Dublin. There are a handful of things that I have had to get used to or have learned about the Irish culture so let's just talk about a few.

1.) They are very indirect. I have learned this mostly through my work. Some days it is quite difficult to understand what my boss wants me to do because she doesn't come out and directly tell me. She will ask me what I think about a job but then won't tell me what I'm to do or if I am to do it then later ask me how far along I am with it. That is something I have been able to almost master in the past weeks at my internship, understanding that when she brings up any sort of job that I should probably work on it.

2.) I feel as if the Irish are quite sporadic. Sara and I were actually discussing this today via texts. Both of our bosses will tell us to do one thing then another then another then go back to the first thing then talk about the last thing then bring up a new thing all in the span of five minutes. I do not know if they use to-do lists or not but when she tells me what to do I attempt to write a to-do list but I never know what is the top priority.

3.) 1 & 2 have taught me that in the work place many Irish don't ask as many questions. They do what they think is best even if they weren't told to do so. I feel like us Americans like to ask to make sure we are doing what is right, yes we like to go above and beyond, but many of us do not just think up an idea and begin it without discussing it with someone. But as my boss says, that's not how the Irish work and Americans ask too many damn questions (she's pretty blunt).

4.) Aside from the work place I've come to realize that Irish have very small personal bubbles. People on the sidewalk get right next to you while waiting for the bus. They will get in your face and begin conversation, no way of avoiding that. They will sit next to you on the bus even if there are plenty of seats open. Most of the time they are the sweetest people and just want to get to know you, especially when they hear your American accent, but other times they make you feel a bit uncomfortable.

Their are many ideas that have been stirring in my head since I've been here. These are just a few that I have come to solid realization with. I will be sure to update you all on other things that I learn about the Irish and the culture over here.

Love you all! Thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for taking this opportunity and really learning about the culture. I'm living your life through these posts, and ABSOLUTELY loving it. MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, Court! Thanks for supporting me through all this. Miss you bundles. Can't wait until August.

      Delete