Monday, June 3, 2013

FUTBOL

I know I just posted a blog but I wanted to make one solely for the futbol game I got to enjoy yesterday, seeing that soccer was such a big part of my life.

Soccer (aka FUTBOL) may be one of the biggest reasons I am who I am today. I know the end of my career wasn't the prettiest after two ACL surgeries and a coach that could careless about his players, but I don't regret a day spent on the field or with a soccer ball. That being said, being able to see a European soccer game, aside from one in America, was a blessing.

I know American games are fun to attend and watch but being in the UK and watching a sport that is as popular as if it were American Football in the states, was marvelous. We only attended a "friendly" which means that it was just a regular match, not a qualifier or playoff. But it was just as exciting as if I were watching a playoff game. The city of Dublin is extremely dedicated to their futbol teams and you could feel the excitement and passion through the audience. Being able to experience this high and this enjoyment was remarkable that I can't imagine what it would be like to go to a playoff/qualifier.

The stadium, Aviva, was breathtaking. It was an open stadium with an abundance of seats. The grass was greener than any grass I have ever seen and the people were friendly, as usual here in Ireland.

Being at the stadium though made my heart ache, in a good way though. I realized the passion and love I still have for the sport. I don't regret quitting when I did because I would not be where I am today if I did not, but I hope that one day in the future I get back into it, whether it be an old person league or playing pick up with friends. Soccer taught me so many lessons and so much about myself. I would not have the strength I do, physically, mentally or emotionally if it weren't for the time I spent playing the sport. I thank it for being such a big part of my life and I thank the Republic of Ireland for showing me how much it means to me again.

Here is a shot of me in the stadium and the stadium itself:



No comments:

Post a Comment